Holy hell, it’s the last day of September already! And man, has this month been the WORST! I am hoping that as the leaves change color, so does the status of things around here. I am really looking forward to finding new happiness and new opportunities.
As a result of this horrifying month, I have barely spent any money on clothes! These days, I’m decently content with my closet (even though I don’t have many casual options), but I know that once I get working again, I will be itching to shop. shop. shop. I’m linking up with Fran and other Budgeting Bloggers today.
All I got this month were these two items: the fun ruffled tank from Goodwill and these super bright shorts I wore to The Color Run yesterday! I plan on writing about my first 5K sometime soon :)
NY & Co. Tank from Goodwill: $3.34
Shorts from T.J. Maxx: $7.50
You can see how I did in previous months:
After last week’s #strugglebus moment when I couldn’t come up with a fabulous alliteration for sharing links on a Friday, I somehow stumbled across “The Friday 5” by the end of the post. It’s funny how life works like that. The answers to most of your questions find their way to you, often in the least expected ways.
So how does this work? Each Friday (if I can commit to it…and I will try!), I will share five awesome links to some really cool content. Some of them will be serious, some will be hilarious, some will be blogs, others will be videos or news articles. The point is, sometimes the blogging community shuts it down for the weekend and there isn’t a whole lot of new content to read over your Saturday breakfast in bed or lazy couch snuggles on Sunday. I know that I have read some really interesting, thought-provoking, laughter-inducing content from my favorite bloggers’ recommendation!
Here goes, week 2:
- Honestly, there is not much better than attractive British men and innuendos. Put them together and you’ve got a recipe for 12 wonderful minutes of laughter. Am I the only person who laughs hysterically watching other people laugh? The nerd-turned-uber-hottie Matthew Lewis (as in THE Neville Longbottom) participates in a British radio show called “Innuendo Bingo.” Need I say more? Thanks Buzzfeed for this gem!
- There are some ugly people in this world. By ugly, I mean they have an incredibly unattractive soul. Luckily, this world is also full of beautiful, strong, intelligent, and inspiring people. Be careful who you choose to make fun of, as this article and video warn: “Bully Calls News Anchor Fat, News Anchor Destroys Him on Live TV.” I admire her for her courage and beauty.
- As a sorority woman myself, I have a high regard for the Greek community and am incredibly passionate about its many opportunities. While I grew up with the stereotypes in mind, I quickly discovered that Greek life is comprised of so much more. Unfortunately, some of the ugly traditions, such as hazing, prevail in some universities, despite the large push for hazing prevention. In a recent issue of Cosmopolitan, a sorority woman shared how her hazing experience was, weirdly enough, “worth it.” I am appalled for numerous reasons, especially because Cosmo has been trying to create a new image for itself. See why Huffington Post thinks “Cosmopolitan’s Sorority Hazing Article Sets Us Back 20 Years.”
- Have you ever thought about what your favorite word is? I came across this wonderful writer and editor from Paper Raven Editing and loved many of her blog posts (and services!), but “A Question You May Never Have Been Asked” really made me think. I don’t know if I have an answer to this question just yet! Do you?
- Justin Timberlake. You don’t need any more convincing. Just click: #hashtag.
Happy Friday, everyone! I hope you all survived the week and have great weekend plans ahead!
Random fact: MTV TrueLife “I’m in a _________ Relationship” knocked on our apartment door last week. Our friend Corey was over for dinner, so he answered it while we listened from the living room. They asked if any of us were in some sort of relationship. Awkward.
But today is not about MTV TrueLife. It’s about MTV Cribs! Meaning, I am going to give you a tiny little glimpse into our new apartment! I know, it’s been awhile since I’ve mentioned the new place…mostly because our move-in was….not so glamorous. Maybe I’ll get around to sharing our story with you at some point…
But first, the outfit.
Jeans: Banana Republic Outlet
Scarf: c/o Justin + Kate (from Francesca’s I believe?)
Flats: Famous Footwear
It’s difficult to get dressed these days because A) I don’t have too many occasions to leave my apartment sadly and B) Most of my fall clothes are work wear, so…my casual outfits are limited. So I tend to fall to my basics, but hopefully this fun scarf added some visual interest.
Now…onto our crib! Ashlie and I have been working diligently to make our place feel more like home. We spent two evenings sewing really adorable throw pillows to coordinate with our new Target Threshold curtains.
What do you think? We ended up saving quite a bit of money by doing the project ourselves and not forking out $20+ a pillow, even at places like Target and HomeGoods. We kind of love our color combination which is gray, yellow, and teal. It seems to go nicely with our brown furniture.
What are some inexpensive ways you’ve made your house or apartment feel more like home?
Sometimes you just need to K.I.S.S. You know, Keep It Simple, Stupid. ;) Duhhhh.
Shorts: Old Navy
Necklace: NY & Co.
Flats: Famous Footwear
There’s just something so classic about a clean white tee and jeans. To add some visual interest, I added the statement necklace and metallic peep-toe flats. It was perfect for a late summer day. In the evening, I could throw on a cardigan or change into jeans. Simple. Classic. Easy. Now, if I could only master the non-squinty eyed look…
Shop for this look:
one // two // three // four
five // six // seven // eight